Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Movies I want to see before I Die (Part 2)


And now to conclude the list of awesome films to see before I die, exhaustively researched and meticulously presented (Okay, not quite, but I put thought into this). If you have any movies you're dying to see as well, just post them. I can always learn from others...

Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo Del Toro, 2006)
A dark fantasy with creepy yet beautiful visuals, monstrous creatures, and it's in the language of my fathers (Espanol, baby!). Not much left to say.

The Great Dictator, The Gold Rush, and basically any other Chaplin comedy (Charlie Chaplin, early 1900's)
I've seen about a third of The Great Dictator, and it was great enough to make me more interested in seeing the other films the Tramp has to offer.

The Battle of Algiers (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966)
One of THE great war films, this exposing documentary-like dramatization of the Algerian war also boasts one of the greatest movie titles ever.

Duck Soup and any other Marx film (Marx Brothers, early 1900's)
I have NEVER seen the Marx Bros, and I'm curious to see how they measure up to Chaplin and the Stooges.

Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
This Soviet sci-fi classic sounds interesting, and, even though I already went and spoiled the entire movie for myself on Wikipedia, hopefully I'll forget what happens by the time I see it.

The Dark Crystal (Jim Henson + Frank Oz, 1982)
All the strange creatures and detail and tiny felt characters of the Muppet Show, but with an epic quest and a struggle between good and evil. Sure sounds weird, but it was ahead of it's time enough to still be groundbreaking. A pyschadelic "Lord of the Rings"-type fantasy with a cast made up entirely of puppets definitely would be interesting to experience.

Of Gods and Men (Xavier Beauvois, 2010)
This came out recently, and has been sweeping up prizes, including the prestigious Grand Prix at Cannes. I'm drawn to this movie about Trappist monks struggling during the Algerian Civil War for some odd reason, perhaps because it's such an obscure area that this movie covers, that being religious people surviving in Algeria.

That pretty much sums up my list. I was forced to exclude some movies (Apocalypse Now, Brazil, The Host) due to their R rating (Pan's L. is 14A here in Canada, so it's all good), but other than that I tried to stay as faithful to my tastes as possible. Hope you had your celluloid appetite wheted as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment