Friday, April 1, 2011

Movies I want to see before I Die (Part 1)

We all have movies we are interested in the minute we hear about them. And discovering
new movies to add to our list of favorites is now a part of life for many people, including myself. And judging by the amount of films I am about to list as potential favourites, I have a lot to see, and maybe you can find some films here you would be interested in...

Ran (Akira Kurosawa, 1985)
Other than the fact that it looks stunning, this movie apparently has one of the all-time greatest battle scenes ever, with no sound other than the atmospheric soundtrack. Eerie.

The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)
It is true, I have not seen one of the best superhero movies ever. I am too young, and it requires an intelligent and mature mind to truly appreciate a realistic thriller like so. And I can go several more years without the Joker plaguieng my nightmares.

Metropolis (Fritz Lang, 1927)
A expressionistic look at the future, "Metropolis" is the ancient classic every film buff wants to see. And it seems that "Metropolis"'s prediction of workers toiling underground for the rich elite living in above-ground utopias isn't too far from the present. Notice how C3-PO is directly inspired by the Doppelganger robot here.

Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952)
I want to see how much I cry at the end.

The Apu Trilogy (Satyajit Ray, 1955-59)
Considered the golden apple of Indian cinema, this trilogy tells the life of Apu Roy from childhood to single-parenthood in India. While the films may sound boring and uneventful, their said to have a "magic horse of poetry" (whatever the heck that means) that makes the whole thing worthwhile.

THX 1138 (George Lucas, 1971)
It's weird how Lucas can go from expiremental to selling lunchboxes. But that's the odd story of his career, which started with this highly-stylized rendition of the "1984" story. And I would be really interested to see what was in George's mind before blockbuster success forever turned him mainstream. Also, thanks to DVD technology, I can just skip that one nudie scene...

Safety Last! (Fred C. Newmeyer, 1923)
I was first introduced to black and white comedy by the Three Stooges, and my brothers and I have now grown fond of watching some good slapstick with our dad. Now, as I find out more about the good ol' days of comedy, I realize there are many more hilarious and dangerous antics to see.

Well, that should do it for today. But, as they say in Back To The Future Part 2... To Be Concluded!




No comments:

Post a Comment